Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Blogger most popular posts feature...

Funny, ever since Blogger provided me with the ability to see which posts are the most viewed I have been fascinated, well maybe not fascinated but, intrigued at least, with the results. I imagine comparing these lists over a number of similar cycling related blogs would make an interesting sociological study. For instance, five of the top ten posts on this blog right now are about cycling fatalities, with the key phrase "ghost bike" displayed prominently. If I were to write a whole lot of posts about memorials, I could understand, but I do not, only a small percentage actually. So I know it is not me obsessing about them. Does this mean that "other" cyclists possess some unusual morbid fascination. Most likely not. First of all I can not even be sure that the people looking at these posts are all cyclists; it is just as likely they are family and friends looking to make sense of the tragedy that has befallen them. Second, cyclists, no matter how widely dispersed are still a rather small and inclusive community - what affects one is felt well beyond local borders. Our shared experiences, though we may be thousands of miles apart, compel us to learn and seek answers ourselves. I must admit I was a bit disturbed when I first saw all the ghost bike posts that were in the top ten, wishing that those ten spots could be filled with more upbeat posts, or at least some that I actually spent some time composing. 
I suppose if I used this tool for what I imagine is its intended purpose, I would devote even more text space to memorials. But there are already blogs and websites which do a far more complete job of this - the Ghost Bikes film documentary project for instance is highly informative (and sobering). As it is I will view the tool as aiding a reader new to the site, they can get an idea of what it is all about without having to cruise through the archives searching through titles which are not always descriptive of the post. Anyway read as you will, what ever you will; the fact that you are here and might find something relevant, informative, or even useful is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...