Wednesday, September 8, 2010

PSA: Bonelli Park...

Christy over at Socalcycling notes that the LA County Sheriff's Department has taken over law enforcement duties at Frank G. Bonelli Regional Park and will be strictly enforcing traffic controls including stops and speeds. The Bud's Ride has been stopped and warned the past two weeks during the Wednesday evening run through the park. This is a very popular area for local riders on both skinny and fat tired bikes, so watch your backs, and your speed, especially between the two entry shacks. You know I just looked at the Bonelli website, and there is no reference to cycling. Equestrian, yes; boating, yes; fishing, yes; swimming, bird watching, jet skiing, hot tubing, golfing, all yes. But nothing about cycling. Are they trying to tell us something? We can't prevent you from riding here, but you are really not welcome? Come on, considering the numbers of riders on the dirt roads, or looping the lake on the paved roads, there should be something. And as far as this ticketing thing goes, I assume it will be an equal enforcement opportunity. When I ride there I am rarely the one doing the passing; with the descents and little rollers it is not that difficult to reach 25 (the speed limit), yet I do get passed by drivers going faster.

1 comment:

  1. It was a few years back but I did get a ticket for rolling though a Stop going over the dam in the park. No one around, not a car in sight. But he had to do his job, I guess. Lucky I had an ID with me because he was telling me to put my bike in his car and climb in the back. Criminal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...