Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Phrasing rant...

I really take exception with the phrase "in the wrong place, at the wrong time." Just this morning I saw it used on a well respected blog I follow. Every time I see this phrase I am bothered by the implications. It has become so embedded in the "blame the victim" mentality which becomes more prevalent in our society every year, so that "in the wrong place, at the wrong time" is brought forth by way of explanation whenever anything "bad" happens. I am constantly in the right place, at the right time for any given task I may be undertaking over the course of the day, or night. If "Joe weekend-warrior" out for a Sunday morning spin is hit from behind, I don't want to hear that he was "in the wrong place, at the wrong time", he was exactly where he needed to be, minding his own business when he was hit by someone who did not take their responsibilities seriously. If "Joe stroller" is out for an evening walk through his neighborhood and is assaulted by a group of thugs, he should not be described as being "in the wrong place, at the wrong time." He was exactly where he wanted to be at that time. Rather, someone chose not to respect his right to be there and then. The phrase "in the wrong place, at the wrong time" has become overused and misapplied, diluting the responsibility for our actions which must be an accepted part of any healthy society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...