Monday, March 8, 2010

Sights and sounds...

I hear them over the incessant drone emanating from the nearby freeway; I hear them beyond the cold night air biting at my ears as I rush past; I hear them over the hum of my own two wheels, and the quiet meshing of my perfectly aligned chain. I hear them through the winter during my twice weekly, evening post-work rides. The frogs. They live beyond this row of houses to my right within the grounds of a water facility. It is here that, during the wet months, a small lake forms providing the necessary habitat. I hear their chorus throughout the winter, but they really seem to come together in February when the cold, clear air only seems to help project the cacophony out into the surrounding neighborhood. "We are here; can you hear us?" they seem to repeat. And while most rush by in contented oblivion I, thankfully, can answer yes; and it is my bike that allows me to experience this nightly concerto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...