Thursday, October 28, 2010

The coyotes...

in this town are getting bold. It is not unusual to see them loping along - I have seen them crossing Monte Vista in the middle of the day, I have seen one dancing around a grassy area at the Claremont Colleges (actually there were some squirrels in the trees mocking it so that it would run back and forth between the trees), just a couple weeks ago I shared a residential street in north Claremont with one on my evening ride (and by the way, I believe this one must have been the worlds largest Coyote). Last night, I was headed up Mills to start my evening loop and crossed Baseline with one. I hadn't yet turned on my lights, but still failed to see it until we were practically on top of each other - I in the bike lane, and he casually using the crosswalk, with cars passing by or waiting at the red, as if it were an everyday occurrence. Used to be in past years I would be riding the loop up in the hills on my mountain bike and would hear them yowling, and yelping across the canyons in the autumn, marking the fading light at the end of daylight savings. I always considered it a little seasonal farewell from them. I am just going to believe that they have come down looking for me, now that my evening rides have switched back to the road rather than the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...