Thursday, January 27, 2011

From the archives: Thurlow Rogers at Diamond Bar...

Earlier, I posted a photo of Thurlow at the 1992 Mexican Independence Day Criterium. Here is another from June 7 of the same year at the Clean Air Circuit Race, which was held in Diamond Bar. The Diamond Bar circuit had a nice little hill to challenge the racers; the finish was, of course, at the top of the hill. Thurlow, wearing Subaru colors appears to have a slight advantage in this final charge to the line. My note on the back of the original photo says that it was taken "just before the incident". I have no idea what I meant by that; likely there was some contact between the two during the sprint, or the inside rider was run into the cones. Sprints can get pretty messy. 


As is usual with too many of these photos from the archives, my notes are incomplete. I don't know who the other racer is. If anyone does please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,
    I was in that race. The other rider is Fred Rodriguez. He was riding for Paul Mitchell/Spago that year and would later ride for Saturn, Mapei, Lotto, and Rock Racing. Fred was living in Whittier at the time so that was a local race for him. From what I heard, since they were OTF and I didn't see the sprint, was that Thurlow took Fred into the cones. However, if I remember correctly, Thurlow was not relegated. I hadn't checked your blog in a while, I introduced myself to you at the Kevin Unck memorial ride.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh, I do remember talking during the memorial ride. Thanks for filling out the story here, I guess I didn't pay much attention to Fast Freddy's career before he went over to Europe. As for the race, that is what I thought happened, but since I didn't make a note of it at the time, I just wasn't sure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...