Saturday, May 1, 2010

Claremont Folk Festival...

Just back in from the festival, where the family and I spent most of the day enjoying the music in the shade of some giant sycamore trees. A good selection of folk music styles were presented, so moving from one stage to the other always gave you something new to listen to. It did not seem like too many people took heed of my message to bike to the festival site, but there were bikes in the racks, locked to trees and occasionally scattered around the grounds. Most importantly everyone looked like they were having a good time. Met a few folks from our cycling community - Mr. Barnes (a reader if this blog, yeah), lending a hand at the Folk Music Store's booth, or do you work there? Seems like I have seen you around. A woman who had done the LA Critical Mass ride on Friday, sorry not to have got your name. And then the gentleman who wanted to ride in from Downey with his guitar; that would have been some ride.

This Peugeot carried someone there...
as did this Schwinn...
and these fixies...
and this totally cool Trek with streaming streamers.
The Sugar Mountain Mama Serenade; a local favorite, whom I have seen numerous times and always enjoy...
same again for the Squeakin' Wheels; brilliant in a small setting like this...
Fred Sokolow hanging out in the sun...
and then singing some blues.
A new group to my ears, Cliff Wagner and Old Number Seven got the place moving. I liked them so much I bought a cd.
Tom Freund. Good stuff; if you are not familiar, check out Copper Moon on Itunes, I especially
liked it.
 
Lil Rev, and his ukelele. I kid you not, every fifth person was carrying around a ukelele. They seem to be the cool instrument of choice right now.
Yuval Ron Ensemble. Music from Morocco, for some international flavor.
the May Pole...
Another uke, and though the photo does not show it, she had the coolest hat of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos Michael...from a camera phone? I don't work at the FMC, but am connected via my wife who is one of 4 daughters of the former owners Dot and Charles Chase. I work for the City of Rancho Cucamonga Public Works Dept. as the Parks and Landscape Maintenance Superintendent. I wish I had had time listen to more of the music too; it was a great day though. Today has been nice too; Sally and I rode our tandem to Upland for coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of those small world moments. It would not surprise me if I have your work email on my office computer since we have done so many public works (and other) projects (Landscape Architecture) in Rancho.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...