Thursday, May 27, 2010

The door zone...

The son of the owner of local bike business, the Velo  (where I often take pics of the older classic bicycles) was doored the other day. He is okay, though hurting, bike damaged, car door shot. While I could care less about that last, I point it out to show that he hit hard enough to peel it back, "like a banana" in the words of his dad.
Though there have been some close calls over the years, I have been fortunate to have avoided any incident like this. I can think of only one other person I have known who consistently rode further out in the lane than me. I guess I am just old enough now that I don't give a c**p  about making drivers change lanes to get around me when I deem it necessary to take the lane for my safety.
But I think it must be very difficult for someone younger. Like my own son, all of 12 years old, and who rides to school every day. It has got to be quite intimidating sometimes (although I must say, that since he was practically born on a bike, he is probably a lot closer to kids growing up in Amsterdam, et al, and are just used to it). He knows by now that he should not ride close to parked cars, but the more obvious danger  would seem to be all those moving cars driving past on his left side. We have ridden together  enough years now, and I have had enough near heart-attacks, to point riding errors out to him. But still, a 12 year old mind is different from a 47 year old mind. It perceives the world around it a little differently, and reacts a little differently. I guess my point is that side-view mirrors were put on cars for a reason - to enable drivers to see what is coming up beside them. Use them, it is not so much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...