Friday, September 17, 2010

Highway 39, part 2... No, dagnabit...

Well, today was supposed to be the day I presented you with part two of the ride up Highway 39, from West Fork to Crystal Lake, after all something good should come from there not being enough work to require you showing up for the Friday half-day at the office. Instead, the powers that be had other ideas. Things started out well enough, other than a whole lot of earth moving trucks rumbling through the canyon, other traffic was Friday-lite and the early part of the ride was going good. I made it up to the West Fork in good time and chugged on through. About a mile and a half later though, I came upon an unexpected locked gate; I knew of the gate up just past the lake, but not one this far down; what gives? Anyway I stopped to take my first little breather of the ride. There was a resident coming down the mountain who was having some problem removing her key from the lock on the gate, and she asked for help. I did what I could, which was nothing. In that brief bit of time, though, a warden drove down and asked if I was going to continue up the road, and then further said that he was sorry, but I would have to do it another day as the road ahead was closed due to law enforcement activity. He did not volunteer any additional information, and I did not press him on what that activity might be, but it put an abrupt end to this day's ride to Crystal Lake. So it wasn't a total loss, I hit up the West Fork road again, which is always a good consolation ride.
Expect a little more burn in the legs, deepened breathing,
and quickened heart rate when you come upon this sign.

The first time I traversed this stretch of road must have been after a trip
through New Mexico, because my first thought was how similar it looked
to some canyons in that state.

End of road today, looking back down. Anyone up for it next weekend?

5 comments:

  1. How far is that West Fork path? The one time I tried it, it was closed due to the Station Fire...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seven miles from the gate to the Glenn campground, another less than a mile to get to the top of Cogswell Dam and the little housing area up there. Anything much past that and you would want knobby tires, but if I am not mistaken this dirt portion goes all the way to Red Box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog and awesome photos! That takes real dedication, so thanks!

    I just did the ride yesterday, and here's what I can tell you:

    I started at the Damn in Irwindale and rode up the bike trail and up the canyon. I went up the West Fork canyon and ran into a sign that said "No bikes, pedestrians, motor bikes."

    I ignored the sign and continued on.

    I then ran into a massive locked orange gate, but was able to easily slip my bike through and continue the climb.

    I was passed by a forest service truck (mint green color, you can't miss them!), but was not stopped. I continued on and it was quite a climb!

    It was getting dark, but I was determined to reach the lake. I got to the exact point where there is an elevation sign of "5,000 Feet" and I was forced to turn around due to MASSIVE swarms of mosquitos that came out almost immediately as soon as the sun started to set.

    My best guess was that I was about 2 miles or so from the lake, maybe less, but really not sure.

    I am eager to do the ride right away, but am crewing for FC-508 this weekend, so it will be a week or so for another attempt.

    Anyone have any other routes to receommend?

    I live in Long Beach and usually park at the Santa Fe Dam Rec area and start from there. I am not yet confident that I can reach the crest and still return home before dark! let me know if you have any thoughts! john@ideabridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, Would love to ride up there with you and others, but am likely way too slow. It took me about 3 hours to get from the Santa Fe Damn to the 5,000' marker on the way to Crystal Lake. If you have a recovery ride planned or know of another Fred at this slow pace, I would be very interested. I am in training for Ultraman and need the consistent climbing experience. Thanks. John Callos john@ideabridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though Hwy 39 is my favorite local mountain road and would be my first recommendation, you might also give Glendora Mountain Road, just a little to the east a try. It seems that far more people ride up it than Hwy 39, especially on the weekends. There also seems to be a wider range of abilities; I posted about GMR earlier this month titled "For a little comparison...".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...