Thursday, December 9, 2010

Are you taking my picture? Why?

He didn't,

She didn't,

He did not, and in fact most do not.

But she did. Did ask why I was taking her photograph.
I had ridden into the Village and was sitting at an outdoor table having lunch with my wife, and as I normally do when in the Village, I had my camera at the ready to take all kinds of biking photos. She didn't stick around for an answer, so I will post it up here in the off chance that she may read this blog. Or, maybe to satisfy the curiosity of someone else who may have seen me holding camera up to face as they rode by and wondered the same thing. After all, whether it be made out of concern or curiosity, it is a valid question. You go to a cycling event, like a race, or a tweed ride, or something along those lines, and you are going to see a lot of cameras, and some may find you; it is to be expected. But on the street, any day, everyday? And there you have the main reason - in order to document that bicycling is an everyday occurrence, one which can be done by virtually anyone. It is not just for the occasional special event. And as I have noted before, Claremont is especially suited to everyday cycling. 
Showing that it can be done, that it is indeed being done, not just by those of us who choose to wear lycra, but by others in jeans, and sweaters, and scarves is one tool to that end.


By the way, the original question which led to this post, was not hostile or defensive. Since it was followed by a smile, I'll file it under curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...