Thursday, December 9, 2010

Our three Italian "B"s...


that's "B" as in beauties, not the other "B". If you have been following, I have been rebuilding a 1970s Bottecchia since July, and it has finally been completed. It joins my Basso (early 90s) and my wife's Bianchi (80s?) as new elder statesman of the trio (and stable, for that matter). I rode it up and down the street, but wasn't able to really give it a proper test. Never-the-less some things were clear. It is certainly different. Much heavier than anything else I ride for one thing. It is also slower and less nimble. I am also going to have to reacquaint myself with downtube shifters and toe clips, neither of which I have used since the early 90s (late 80s for the toe clips).

I was not able to build it out quite as I wanted, Nuovo Record where ever possible, and ended up simply cleaning and reinstalling some of the original components. But I may keep looking, and maybe some day it will be all Campy. Until then I am satisfied, and will bring it out for local vintage rides.





Final tally:

1970s Bottecchia frame
DEA rims with Normandy high-flange hubs (original when bought)
Nervor Sport cranks and chainrings (original)
Campagnolo Nuovo Record pedals
Ale toe clips with Christophe straps
Dia Compe brakes (original)
Nuovo Record brake levers with Cane Creek hoods
Cinelli bar and stem
headset is unidentified
SR Laprade seatpost
leather saddle is new, make not known
Panaracer tires
Serfas bar wrap

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...