Monday, April 26, 2010

New ride...


Over the weekend just past, I took the plunge and bought that Origin 8 (run together and pronounce 'originate' Uno) fixed-gear bike which had been hanging out at The Velo. Sealing the deal was finding out that I would not have to buy a new rear wheel to convert it to a single-speed, non-fixed gear. Ain't innovation (in the form of the flip-flop hub) wonderful. I made the 10 mile trek to work on it today, as well as the 12 mile return, and let me tell you it is a different demon entirely with just one gear, 46-16 in this case.  I have never been one to do a lot of shifting anyway, but it became a bit of a task to maintain speed on the run in to work (slightly downhill). Not much difference on the evening return home, but then the prevailing headwind pounds me no matter what I ride. I can certainly see why riding a single-speed bike will make you stronger. Now I do not see this new bike replacing the ol' yellow Basso as top road dog in the garage, but it does present a new challenge, and I do like a good challenge.




2 comments:

  1. Cool ride...I admired it in the window just recently...where do you commute to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kind of surprised it was there for as long as it was. Commute takes me into Rancho Cuc.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...