Tuesday, April 27, 2010

the Glare...

At some point during a ride it is sure to happen, usually as I pull up to a stop at a traffic signal, I will turn my head to the left and unleash the glare, eyes focused on each vehicle passing through the intersection in front of me. Admittedly they are usually all a blur, though I do attempt to give each driver individual attention. I focus on the eyes of the drivers; some are looking straight ahead, which I suppose is a good thing, though less effective from the standpoint of the glare. Maybe they feel the glare through some sixth sense, if they do not actually see it. Others glance to their right and notice me, and the glare, and I try to interpret their looks - the most prevalent interpretation (I imagine) is a look of shame, that they could easily be running their myriad errands by bike too, but have sold their souls to convenience. 


The next most common interpretation is the "look of knowing". These are all other cyclists, and the look is one of "damn, I wish I were doing that right now." The third look is the "nice, look at the hot, fit dude on the bike" look, and is always given by attractive women (ha, ha, just keep repeating imagination is more important than knowledge...) Sorry, my mind tends to wander as I wait. Most, actually and unfortunately, are just looks, devoid of any recognition or spirit; I think cars tend to be a lot like vampires in this regard, sucking the life out of their owners.  I am also an equal opportunity provider when it comes to dispensing with the glare; sorry ma, but you would receive it too (that is until realizing it was you who just passed by).


I do realize that this is harsh, that the people withering under the effects of the glare are folks mostly just like me, just trying to accomplish some daily task, and doing it by the means they know best. I also know that the glare, as an expression of loathing, is a poison to my soul - that I am fortunate to be able to get around by means that I actually enjoy, and that what all these people passing by should be seeing is not the glare, but the vibrancy, the aliveness, the freedom of riding. And so I make the effort to banish the glare, which disappears soon anyway, as the light turn green and I pedal on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...