Sunday, August 29, 2010

Yes...

It was quite the bike weekend around here. First I picked up new parts for the vintage Bottecchia rebuild as previously posted, took a nice long Saturday ride as previously posted, and then Saturday I picked up my new bike:
Next year has been an all too familiar refrain around here ever since my son was born more than 12 years ago, as in "I am going to make my comeback to racing, next year". Well, this year when my son stated that he wanted to start racing, I took that as my opportunity to turn that perennial next year into this year. It did not quite work out the way I had hoped; yes I renewed my racing licence and increased my mileage, but the only racing bicycle in the stable has remained the yellow Basso, with which you may by now be familiar. While it may still be a sensational bike by most standards, in the fast paced world of criterium racing, it would leave me at a distinct disadvantage. With a big sale this weekend at my LBS along with my already substantial team member benefits, I plunged in and bought myself a brand new racing machine. It is a 2009 model KHS Flite 500, aluminum with carbon fork and stays. The components are not up to my standard, and I have already begun to replace them with Campy. This was only the second complete road bike I have ever bought; usually I buy just the frame and build as I want. But the price was right, and I can ride it as is, gradually changing components over the winter and having it ready to go by the spring. Don't fret for the Basso though, it will not be disassembled, and mothballed as has been typical in the past; it is too fun to ride and receives too many compliments for that fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...