Monday, March 21, 2011

My Toolbox Essentials: Third-hand Tool...


The third-hand tool is probably the single most useful tool I have in my toolbox. It may not get used as much as some of the wrenches, but it is indispensable when brakes need adjusting. The green handled one shown is mine, the other I borrowed from the Velo for the photo. Though they are clearly different designs, they both perform the same function. The one that I have pulls the brake cable, squeezing the brake calipers together at the same time, leaving you with one hand free to tighten the bolt. Before I got this tool I had to squeeze the caliper and pull the cable with one hand and tighten the bolt with my other hand, an operation easier accomplished with three hands, hence the name of the tool. Easier written than accomplished; it is one of my older tools in the box. Nothing here that is going to become over-stressed and break during use, so I expect it will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...